Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Week 5 Post B

As I was reading Quiet Strength something really stood out to me. Tony Dungy’s football team was just about to play there first game after the September eleven attacks, and this is what Tony says. “It had been a while since I had given much thought to the significance of singing the national anthem before a game, since it happened so routinely every week. I was usually more interested in who was performing it. But this game, I was focused on the anthem itself-the words, the music, the meaning-as much as the game. I was focused on our team standing out there, ready to go back to work in honor of our country” (Pg 190). This really stood out to me when I was reading this because it is so true. People so often take for granted those who have died for us, and fought for our freedom. At sporting events people are asked to standup and to please remove their hats as the national anthem is sang. People don’t standup sometimes, and don’t bother to remove their hats. I believe that is ridiculous, and Tony also says that he is usually more worried about who is singing the national anthem than the significance of the words. I believe everyone is guilty of that. What bothers me most especially at school is people are to lazy to standup for the pledge of allegiance. If you don’t like some of words in the pledge of allegiance that are so often debated then get out of our country.

No comments: